Admissions News

Student Spotlight

“Being a student of Chinese Medicine is a full time commitment. Now in my final year of this journey, profound personal discovery has emerged and shifted all aspects of my life. At the end of this program, I will be have experienced a full transformation and will be ready to be a competent, knowledgeable, and helpful health practitioner.”

–Myahn DeMarchis, AIMC Berkeley student and senior intern practitioner in the AIMC Berkeley Acupuncture & Integrative Medicine Clinic

Myahn DeMarchis“I love learning new things, particularly of the mind/body/spirit relationship.”

Myahn has a Master of Arts in Geography. She is a certified Theta Healer Practitioner and Acupressure Practitioner. After becoming licensed, Myahn plans to practice TCM locally in the Bay Area. Her hobbies include Indonesian martial arts, yoga, guitar, and personal writing, and her professional interests include sports injury, spirit healing, and medical qigong.

Why did you decide to study Oriental medicine?
I believe Oriental medicine is a well-rounded medicine because it includes nutrition, exercise, hands-on therapy, and supportive counseling and offers treatment to people who otherwise may not use these modalities for wellness. I was also looking for a community to belong to that was inspiring, creative, and fascinating.

What has surprised you most about your study of acupuncture and Oriental medicine?
How much there is to learn about medicine in general. This is a lifetime commitment. I’m a student now, but I know my journey will really start after I graduate and lead my own practice.

What do you like most about the career path you’ve chosen?
I get to meet new people every day and connect in a personal way. This medicine is expanding and I feel that I have chosen a career that I will grow with and into.

What are some of your personal or professional interests hobbies that have helped you get to where you are now?
I had to overcome a partial tear to my shoulder from fitness training, and Oriental medicine was the main source in my recovery. This experience led me toward a deeper understanding of how body, mind, and spirit are connected.

My interest in biomechanics—or how the body moves through martial arts, yoga, and general fitness— keeps me interested in the practice of energy/alternative medicine. When we move our bodies, we move our attitudes and beliefs about ourselves and the world, which raises our intentions in a more positive way. This alteration is subtle on a daily basis, but can be life altering over time.

What are your plans for the future?
I envision using my knowledge in fitness and martial arts (both internal and self defense). I will use my knowledge of nutrition, acupuncture, and herbs to educate and empower individuals in their lives. My career focuses are in preventive medicine, pain management, sports injury, and psyche/spirit healing.

How do you maintain your own personal health and well-being?     
I exercise at a local gym some days and other days in my living room. I use dynamic workouts to keep in shape so I don’t get bored. I make sure I eat enough vegetables, proteins, and of course I take Chinese herbs when needed. Being just a student is one job, but I like to be engaged in multiple projects to keep it fresh, so I get creative with my down time too.

What is something your fellow students and colleagues may not know about you?
I am 34 years old and have lived at 20 addresses and worked 14 different jobs, including delivering pizzas, working in an assisted living center, in book stores, computer drafting urban design, and now, in health care. I know how to keep moving and surrender, but never give up.

Why did you choose AIMC Berkeley?
I transferred from another school in a quiet, tourist beach town, because I wanted to be in a more urban environment where I could walk to places of interest easier and live without a car. All of the OM programs nationwide take time, commitment, and endurance to get through.

Do you have any words of wisdom that you would like to impart to AIMC Berkeley’s prospective students?
Make your own wellness plan your priority, because sitting in class for hours a week can create stagnation and anxiousness. Keep moving and be clear with your goals and intentions.